Humor me here…
I am tired of seeing homeowners leave money on the table!
In the past few years, there has been a massive push towards the advent of iBuyers…with “hassle-free” offers.
What are iBuyers? They are usually institutional investors, who are willing to purchase a property with very few contingencies, ALL CASH. They are in the business of fix-and-flips.
I believe it’s deceptive, because the ads are sometime accompanied by these words:
“Highest price”, “Best price”, “Hassle free”
But these companies are working to earn a massive profit margin. They are looking to take advantage of the homeowner who is distressed in some way (behind on payments, behind on taxes, property in disrepair).
In almost every case, I believe that my team could achieve a higher price by listing the property on the open market. And our fees are less too.
In my opinion, the only issues with tours/repairs are when the transaction is mismanaged by the listing broker. These are the hassles that homeowners are trying to avoid. Especially when your property shows yucky. A seller will never have an easy time bringing buyers through to tour the home.
My team specializes in the 1-weekend tour model.
That means if your home is priced right and marketed properly, you only need one weekend of tours to secure a contract.
Don’t be deceived!
1) Yard improvements | These are usually the easiest and most cost-effective improvements that will bring you value. In our current resale market, your outdoor space is just as important as your indoor space. Depending on how much space you’re working with, a simple outdoor dining area can add immense value. You can also add a stretch or turf, or a nice fire-pit for a low cost. Reach out for specific advice.
2) Painting Cabinets | Between kitchens, bathrooms and linens, this is one of the easiest way to add long-term value to your home. But the quality of the job is UBER important. If possible, have your cabinets professionally painted with a quality lacquer that won’t peel or chip. Reach out for a referral to an amazing and inexpensive paint crew.
3) Countertops | Not to be underestimated! This is one of the most impactful changes you can make to your home. The psychological effects on a buyer are HUGE. And the options are extensive nowadays. Between Quartz and Granite, there are lots of affordable options to choose from, and exciting features like waterfalls and breakfast bars are extremely marketable to buyers. Reach out for links or ideas on how to make your countertops a showstopper.
4) Feature Walls | Whether it’s wood shiplap, tile or wallpaper… these features are setting records in our current resale market. Choose a wall that is central to your living space or even your master bedroom. Texture is important, and color is great! Depending on your paint scheme, the direction you go can be simple or super colorful. Pinterest is a great place to check out examples. Reach out for specific links to our favorites.
5) Built-in Cabinetry | This is an absolute game-changer. Most buyers think built-in cabinetry is more expensive than it actually is. It’s a great way to fill an empty space… or create much needed storage for board games, linens or decor items. To take it to the next level, add lighting that will dramatically affect the feel of your living space. Reach out for photos, or a list of our preferred built-in cabinet contractors.
6) Pools | For 2020 this is a favorite in Southern California. If your yard has enough space, it is something you should consider. We used to advise homeowners that they might not get their money back when selling, but all that has changed. Now, pool homes are fetching serious premiums on the resale market. Reach out for a list of our preferred pool contractors.